FAQ #98 – What About the AMPARO Visa In Ecuador?

If you are married to an Ecuadorian citizen, you can apply for the Ecuador Amparo Visa, which allows you to skip the 2-year temporary residency visa and go directly to a permanent residency visa.

The main requirements are that you need to be legally married to an Ecuadorian citizen and register your marriage with the ministry. You also must reside inside Ecuador for at least 6 months per year for the first 2 years for your visa to remain valid.

After two years of permanent residency, you can then apply for Ecuadorian citizenship. You don’t need to wait 5 years like other types of visas.

Planning a move to Ecuador?

Our Ecuador Expat Fast Track eCourse will tell you exactly how to do it! Join more than 250 people who have already signed up! See what our students have to say here...

Get Qualified, Trustworthy Recommendations

Need help with your visa, finding a place to live, shipping a container, health insurance, private driver or something else?

We're happy to introduce you to our trusted and qualified relocation experts in Ecuador!

NEWS from ECUADORNews & Current Events from Ecuador

Every Friday, we send an email with current expat-relevant news from Ecuador (in English). It contains the latest information about covid, travel restrictions & guidelines, government actions, volcanoes, flooding, crime, and more. Basically, anything significant from the prior week that affects expats. We don't share this information ANYWHERE ELSE!

In addition, you'll also gain immediate access to our Ecuador Cost of Moving & Living Calculator. And it now contains a Low Budget Cost of Living option.


BE Unconventional!

Cuenca Ecuador ExpatsWe've assembled a supportive community of current and future expats who are eager to share their experiences, answer questions and offer encouragement as you embark on your move abroad.

Once you become a member, you'll also gain access to a variety of exclusive benefits that will help you make a smooth transition to Ecuador!