Yesterday, Juan Zapata, president of the National COE, revised the COVID travel guidelines relating to vaccines and testing for travelers who enter Ecuador.
Effective March 22, 2021, a negative PCR test will no longer be the only option for entering Ecuador as a foreign traveler. You will ALSO be allowed to enter Ecuador by presenting a vaccine card or certificate showing that you have received both doses of an approved vaccine.
The currently approved vaccines in Ecuador are: Pfizer-BioNTech, Sinovac, Covax and AstraZeneca. These are the only vaccines currently available in Ecuador. We expect the government to clarify which vaccines will be approved for travel in the coming weeks or months.
Additionally, negative antigen tests will also be accepted, as well as negative PCR tests. However, both tests must now be less than 72 hours old upon arrival in Ecuador. Prior to March 22, only negative PCR tests were accepted and they needed to be less than 10 days old.
According to Ricardo Zambrano from the Ministry of Tourism, the objective of these changes is so Ecuador can reactivate the tourism sector for worldwide vaccinated travelers.
You can watch the full interview with Juan Zapata in Spanish here: Ecuador announces changes for the entry of passengers with a vaccination card against covid-19.
COVID Information for Ecuador
Here's a handy list of resources for COVID-related travel guidelines and status updates:
- Ecuador Vaccine Plan (NEW WEBSITE)
- National COE Resources: CoronavirusEcuador.com & National COE Resolutions
- CDC International Travel Guidelines: After You Travel Internationally
- CDC PCR Test Guidelines: Requirement for Proof of Negative COVID-19 Test or Recovery from COVID-19 for All Air Passengers Arriving in the United States
- US Embassy & Consulate in Ecuador: COVID-19 Information
- Quito International Airport COVID Travel Info: Protocols and Health Measures
- Guayaquil International Airport COVID Travel Info: Information Regarding Travel Due to COVID
Planning a move to Ecuador?
The Ecuador Expat Now eCourse covers every step from A-to-Z!
Get Qualified, Trustworthy Recommendations
Need help with your visa, finding a place to live, shipping a container, health insurance, private driver or something else?
We're happy to introduce you to our trusted and qualified relocation experts in Ecuador!
FREE Weekly Expat Newsletter
Sign-up for our FREE weekly newsletter and get immediate access to:
- All the Past Newsletters
- The Ecuador Cost of Moving & Living Calculator
- A 20% Discount Code for the Ecuador Expat Fast Track eCourse and the Online Income eCourse
This newsletter covers things we don’t share ANYWHERE ELSE! You’ll get all sorts of timely information about Ecuador and global expat news that might affect your travel or move decisions.
Join Our Community!
Once you become a member, you'll also gain access to a variety of exclusive benefits that will help you make a smooth transition to your new life abroad! And you'll get more immediate access to Amelia And JP!