Guns in Ecuador are tightly regulated and the right to bear arms is not guaranteed by the constitution as it is in the United States. There are several gun ownership restrictions and laws that make it difficult, but not impossible to have a gun in Ecuador.
Gun Laws in Ecuador
According to GunPolicy.org, here are the relevant gun laws and regulations for Ecuador:
- Only firearms with a caliber of 9 millimeters or .38 caliber and smaller are allowed.
- Assault weapons and automatic guns are illegal.
- You cannot import a firearm from overseas, which means you cannot bring your gun collection with you.
- To own a firearm you must be a resident, which includes both citizens, as well as temporary and permanent residents (expats).
- You must be licensed, which requires you to undergo a criminal background and mental health evaluation (psych eval).
- You have to reapply for the license every year for possession and every 2 years for concealed or open-carry permits.
- You must also explain why you want a gun, which could include hunting, target shooting, collecting, or self-defense.
- You can only own a maximum of 2 guns.
Gun Stores in Ecuador
Since guns are so tightly controlled in Ecuador, you won’t find a lot of options to buy guns or ammunition. As far as we know, the only gun stores in Ecuador are located in Quito and Guayaquil:
If you’re from the United States and the 2nd Amendment is central to your identity, Ecuador may not be an ideal choice for your expat destination. However, most countries around the world have gun laws that are far more strict than the U.S., so you may have a difficult time finding someplace that will work for you.
If you’re from anyplace other than the U.S., the gun laws in Ecuador will be similar to what you’re used to so the adjustment won’t be too challenging.
We don’t own guns so if you have more current or updated information, please let us know in the comments below and be sure to share your sources for reference so we can update this article.
Planning a move to Ecuador?
The Ecuador Expat Fast Track eCourse covers every step from A-to-Z! Read what our past students have to say...
Get Qualified, Trustworthy Recommendations
Need help with your visa, finding a place to live, shipping a container, health insurance, private driver or something else?
We're happy to introduce you to our trusted and qualified relocation experts in Ecuador!
FREE Weekly Expat Newsletter
Sign-up for our FREE weekly newsletter and get immediate access to:
- All the Past Newsletters
- The Ecuador Cost of Moving & Living Calculator
- A 20% Discount Code for the Ecuador Expat Fast Track eCourse
The newsletter contains the latest information about travel guidelines, government news, social causes, volcanoes, flooding, crime, and more. Basically, anything significant that affects expats.
The newsletter has information that we don’t ANYWHERE ELSE!
Join the Inner Circle!
Once you become a member, you'll also gain access to a variety of exclusive benefits that will help you make a smooth transition to your new life abroad!