Guns in Ecuador are tightly regulated and the right to bear arms is not guaranteed by the constitution as it is in the United States. There are several gun ownership restrictions and laws that make it difficult, but not impossible to have a gun in Ecuador.
Gun Laws in Ecuador
According to GunPolicy.org, here are the relevant gun laws and regulations for Ecuador:
- Only firearms with a caliber of 9 millimeters or .38 caliber and smaller are allowed.
- Assault weapons and automatic guns are illegal.
- You cannot import a firearm from overseas, which means you cannot bring your gun collection with you.
- To own a firearm you must be a resident, which includes both citizens, as well as temporary and permanent residents (expats).
- You must be licensed, which requires you to undergo a criminal background and mental health evaluation (psych eval).
- You have to reapply for the license every year for possession and every 2 years for concealed or open-carry permits.
- You must also explain why you want a gun, which could include hunting, target shooting, collecting, or self-defense.
- You can only own a maximum of 2 guns.
Gun Stores in Ecuador
Since guns are so tightly controlled in Ecuador, you won’t find a lot of options to buy guns or ammunition. As far as we know, the only gun stores in Ecuador are located in Quito and Guayaquil:
If you’re from the United States and the 2nd Amendment is central to your identity, Ecuador may not be an ideal choice for your expat destination. However, most countries around the world have gun laws that are far more strict than the U.S., so you may have a difficult time finding someplace that will work for you.
If you’re from anyplace other than the U.S., the gun laws in Ecuador will be similar to what you’re used to so the adjustment won’t be too challenging.
We don’t own guns so if you have more current or updated information, please let us know in the comments below and be sure to share your sources for reference so we can update this article.
Planning a move to Ecuador?
Our Ecuador Expat Fast Track eCourse is now live! Join more than 100 people who have already signed up!
Follow Us on Social Media
Get Qualified, Trustworthy Recommendations
Need help with your visa, finding a place to live, shipping a container, health insurance, private driver or something else?
We're happy to introduce you to our trusted and qualified service providers in Ecuador!
News & Current Events from Ecuador
Every Friday, we send an email with current expat-relevant news from Ecuador (in English). It contains the latest information about covid, travel restrictions & guidelines, government actions, volcanoes, flooding, crime, and more. Basically, anything significant from the prior week that affects expats. We don't share this information ANYWHERE ELSE!
In addition, you'll also gain immediate access to our Ecuador Cost of Moving & Living Calculator. And it now contains a Low Budget Cost of Living option.
Get Even More Guidance!
Want to be an expat? You're not alone! We have a supportive community of current and future expats who are eager to share their experiences, answer questions and provide support to help take the mystery out of your move.
While we provide a lot of extra value for your membership, the real benefit is the support your contribution offers to us. Your generosity and reciprocity helps us continue creating more videos, articles and content about expats and Ecuador!