FAQ #97 – Can I Live 6 MONTHS per YEAR In Ecuador?

If you want to live 6 months per year in Ecuador, your best option is to apply for a temporary residency visa.

The tourist visa issued at the airport allows you to stay for 90 days per year based on the date of entry. You can apply for a 90 day extension, but only once every 5 years.

A temporary residency visa will allow you to stay as long as you want each year, but you’ll need to reapply every two years.

Planning a move to Ecuador?

The Ecuador Expat Fast Track eCourse covers every step from A-to-Z! Read what our past students have to say...

Get Qualified, Trustworthy Recommendations

Need help with your visa, finding a place to live, shipping a container, health insurance, private driver or something else?

We're happy to introduce you to our trusted and qualified relocation experts in Ecuador!

Expat NewsletterFREE Weekly Expat Newsletter

Sign-up for our FREE weekly newsletter and get immediate access to:

The newsletter contains the latest information about travel guidelines, government news, social causes, volcanoes, flooding, crime, and more. Basically, anything significant that affects expats.

The newsletter has information that we don’t ANYWHERE ELSE!


Join the Inner Circle!

Cuenca Ecuador ExpatsWe've assembled a supportive community of current and future expats who are eager to share their experiences, answer questions and offer encouragement as you embark on your move abroad.

Once you become a member, you'll also gain access to a variety of exclusive benefits that will help you make a smooth transition to your new life abroad!